Instagram Archer of the Week: Paul van Goor
Archery in the City selected Paul van Goor as our Instagram Archer of the Week. As part of the selection process Paul was interviewed about his archery style, training habits and his most memorable events. The amazingly, global sport of archery only gets better as social media allows all of us to connect across the world and support each other.
- General Information. What’s your name, where are you from and where is your home range/club?
My name is Paul van Goor, from The Netherlands. I am from a small town called Brunssum. It is in the provence of Limburg, the South East part of the Netherlands. My archery club is called Willem Tell S.C. Hoensbroek named after William Tell… It is also the club of Mike Schloesser you might have heard of him
- How did you start Archery and what styles of archery (recurve, compound, 3D, Target, Field, Hunting, traditional, etc) do you participate in?
Well, I work as a volunteer at an activity centre for young people with disabilities (mental issues, bipolar, depressions, behavior problems and so on) one day we went with a few clients to an archery club nearby and we all had a great day. So I decided to go back to that range and then it hit me! I fell in love with archery! I started with the recurve, later on compound and nowadays I also shoot traditional/3d. I kinda like it all!
- What kind of Archery is prevalent in your area?recurve, compound, 3D, Target, Field, Hunting, traditional, etc
- What is your favorite archery memory?
- Describe the biggest archery event you have attended? Did you shoot in it?
Probably the nationals and regionals I both participated in them .
- Where is the farthest you have travelled to shoot archery?
I am not much of a traveler, most of the nationals and regionals are relatively close by
- What archery training activities do you perform and how often?
Well, I try to practice at least every day. Since I am a certified archery trainer I also try to keep up with new techniques and training methods. I am always willing to learn from other more experienced archers as well. But I also love to teach others, kids, adults and I even have my own group that I teach to. Those are actually quite good archers despite their disabilities
- How many arrows do you typically shoot in a week?
Many, I kinda lost count
- What are your archery goals?
My goal is to bring people together through archery. Actually I want to set up my own archery range, where all sorts of archers can come and shoot their arrows, Compound, recurve, traditional, 3d and so on.
- There are a lot of great archers in the world. Which archer do you look up to as a role model and why?
Probably Mike Schloesser, it really amazes me how he does it every time! The pressure would kill me I think! That’s why I think he is a really friendly and down to earth archer! But mostly every archer I’ve encountered are really nice and friendly!
Mostly recurve and compound target archery, but we see in this area a big growth in traditional/3d archery
Becoming national champion on my first big national tournament with our team! I was a rookie archer so I didn’t expect much of it so I told the team don’t count on me, but somehow it all went very well! I walked around with a big smile on my face for months!!
Thanks, Paul, for your words and motivation. Your archery career is sure to be long and fruitful – Mike
If you are interested in becoming an Instagram Archer of the Week, please, contact us via the following link: Contact Us
Let us know your user name on Instagram and we’ll contact you with details!